Coordination of applied research and extension on organic farming in Flanders
CCBT is the 'coordination centre for applied research and extension on organic agriculture' and is part of the 'Strategic Action Plan for Organic Farming' of the Flemish Government.
CCBT aims to coordinate and stimulate research for organic farming in six applied research stations in Flanders:
- INAGRO, vegetables and arable crops
- PCG, greenhouse crops and herbs
- PCFruit, pome and stone fruit
- Proefbedrijf Pluimveehouderij, poultry
- PPK, berries
- PIBO campus, arable and vegetable crops.
One of our cornerstones is to involve farmers in determining the needs of research.
Together with the farmers’ networks and the research stations, research needs are defined and translated into projects. Much attention is being paid to the translation of the project results into useful and readily applicable information for farmers, via our monthly newsletter, which also gives an updated overview of related research news.
Running CCBT-projects 2013-2014 (funded from CCBT budget):
- Towards an improved protein supply in organic livestock (Inagro in collaboration with Wim Govaerts & co)
- Wireworms and leatherjackets in biological fields: understanding the problem and developing biological control strategies (Inagro)
- Participatory research on pests and diseases in berries (PCFruit)
- The problem of forest bugs in organic pear production, analysis of management actions over several years: opportunities for control in spring and autumn (PCFruit)
- High quality vegetables from farmer to plate (PCG)
- Literature study and on farm evaluation of the nesting behavior and the use of the free range in organic poultry (Poultry Research Farm)
Finished projects 2012-2013:
- Tackling apple replant disease in organic tree fruit production (Pcfruit)
- Monitoring soil mineral nitrogen in organic tree fruit production (Pcfruit)
- Promoting the use of legumes (Inagro)
- Sulfur supply for animal, plant and soil in organic farming (Inagro)
- Optimising the use of polytunnels during the summer (PCG)
- Herbs against coccidiosis: impact of the lead of growth of the lambs on the later milk production (Wim Govaerts & co cvba)
- Exploring literature on criteria for a responsible use of the free range in organic poultry (Proefbedrijf Pluimveehouderij)
- Organic planting material for strawberries (PPK)
Finished projects 2011-2012:
- Soil exhaustion in organic apple (Pcfruit)
- Reinforcement of the value of the free range for organic poultry: summary of literature (Proefbedrijf Pluimveehouderij)
- Lowering of soil-pH in berries - on farm research (PPK)
- Control of forest bugs (Pentatomidae) in organic pear orchards (Pcfruit)
- Cultivation of herbs for healthy cows (Inagro)
- No tillage in Flemish organic farming (Inagro)
- Weed control in polytunnels. (PCG)
- Inventarisation of indicators for organic cattle (Wim Govaerts & co cvba)
or to work together in a project.
Carmen Landuyt, coordinator CCBT
TEL +32 9 381 86 86
Karreweg 6, 9770 Kruishoutem, Belgium